November 21, 2018

Happy Thanksgiving!

The fifth graders practiced varying their sentence beginnings with Thanksgiving-themed sentences.

Begin with an adverb:

Piggishly, Lukas ate the pumpkin pie.
Happily, I thought about the memories of all of the Thanksgivings my family and I have hosted.
Anxiously, we carried the heavy turkey to the table.
Slowly, my parents are warming up the turkey in the oven.


Begin with a prepositional phrase:

In the kitchen, I smelled the warm, hearty mashed potatoes my dad makes every year.
Around the table, the gravy train moved.
After spotting the dinner, the pilgrims snuck up on the turkeys.
In the muddy grass, we played a traditional Thanksgiving game.


Begin with a participial phrase:

Gathering together, we gave thanks.
Setting down his fork, Lukas announced that he was full.
Shushing the others, the pilgrims snuck up on the turkeys.


Use an appositive phrase:

A voracious eater, Lukas slipped into a food coma.
A confused baker, my dad yelled, “Where is the piping bag!”
A golden turkey, the centerpiece, was cooked beautifully.  


Begin with a dependent clause:

When the guests arrived, we all sat down and said grace.
Since the parade is today, we were all happy.
Soon after we played outside with my family, we said goodbye.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October 5, 2018

December 7, 2018

December 14, 2018